Skip to main content

thanksgiving!!!


Spiced apple pie

It's thanksgiving weekend. I'm not so happy about it this year as my parents are leaving for a pan-asia tour on tuesday and thus my mom is unable to prepare our usual thanksgiving feast. That means no wild rice salad, lentil-carrot salad, or squash patties for me :( And I will miss having dinner with my side of the family - it's what we do best!

To make up for it, I made a bunch of delicious fall food. Tofu stuffed with brown rice and mushroom gravy from Fat Free Vegan and raw spiced apple pie. I've made the stuffed tofu before and let me tell you, it is aMAZing!! Although, word of warning: it does take like three hours to make. No joke. So make sure you have enough time!



plate on right, clockwise from back: roasted potatoes, honey-maple turnip, tofu stuffed with mushroom brown rice, brown rice stuffing, mushroom gravy, green beans, carrots

The apple pie is made of of sweetly spiced apple slices on a sweet pecan crust. I piled the apples high and left the skin on (which made it easier to prepare, healthier, colourful - especially if using different types of apples!! - and yummy). I went for the sweet gala apples, but really you could use whatever apple you desire, depending on the sweetness and texture you want.

In addition to the extreme deliciousness and incredible healthiness of this meal, it also comes free of the uncomfortable too full and sleepy-ness that usually accompanies thanksgiving.

Spiced apple pie
pecan pie crust (made with an additional 1/2tsp nutmeg)

3 apples (gala, or whichever tickles your fancy), thinly sliced
thinned date paste
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsbp lemon juice (to add a pleasant tartness and to keep the apples from browning)
1 tbsp coconut oil

toss apple slices with remaining ingredients until evenly coated

press base into springform pan
top with coated apple slices
let chill in fridge

serve with almond cream, coconut cream or vanilla ice cream.


Spiced apple pie

AWESOME UPDATE: The boy's mom made delicious oven roasted veggies (carrots, greenbeans, honey-maple turnip - YUM, eggplant, and potatoes). So SO good. And I got leftovers, meaning I've enjoyed two delicious salads of roasted veggies mixed with lettuce greens and dressed in a garlic-y balsamic vinagrette (!!!).

Comments

katie said…
GREAT PICS!

http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/
Iris said…
I love all your raw pie ideas! You make them look better than baked pies!

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be