Skip to main content

first blog post in forEVER!! and a chocolate raspberry torte


I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

chocolate raspberry torte: chocolate nutty crust, topped with fresh raspberries and fudgy sauce

I'm not going to lie, I totally make up whether to call it a torte, a tart or a pie based on what sounds nicer. I'm pretty sure this is not a torte...aren't tortes filled with denser fillings or something? I have no idea.

Anyway, I know it's been forever forever forever since I posted anything. The reasons are many-fold:
  1. we had to bring our computer in for fixing so it was away for a while
  2. we both came down with the WORST FLU I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. It is horrible! And it's still kicking! Thank god it's on the way out now at 1.5 weeks. I actually didn't get out of bed for 3 straight days. And then, when I did, I could only do light activity because simple tasks like cleaning the cats' litter exhausted me too much. And today I made the mistake of taking some cough syrup, which it would appear I'm allergic to. So, I couldn't control my movements for the first half of the day or sit up, and for the second half of the day I had a stabbing headache. NEVER AGAIN. This flu is a wonderful strain of infectious disease that in addition to making you feel like crap, makes everything taste like crap.
  3. I haven't been eating all that wonderfully. I did make a lot of ice cream with MY BRAND NEW (well now month-old) ICE CREAM MAKER!!!! More on that later.
  4. We're moving at the end of the month. I hate moving. But am excited to move and to have a place I can actually take good food photos! No more dimly lit messy places! yay!
  5. It's November in Toronto. Meaning that there is about 6 hours of sunlight in the day, none of them occurring when I'm home and able to take photos.
I'm trying to get back into healthy yummy eating, if not just in hopes that my mouth will finally stop tasting like snot (yay being sick!). Ew ew ew I had such a classy moment on the way to work the other day: My nose was full on running and I forgot to bring any tissues and had to blow it on a pair of (clean at least) underwear that was in my bag from going to the gym!! In public!! I was hoping hoping hoping that people didn't see the La Senza logo and just thought it was a fancy handkerchief; though what 25 year old uses a handkerchief I wouldn't know...

Anyway, in step 1 toward being healthy again, I made pasta with kale and roasted tomato sauce for dinner and chocolate raspberry torte for dessert! And it tasted good! Yay!!! Finally, something that doesn't taste like snot and ickyness!

(recipes after the jump!)



Roasted tomato sauce


Oven-roasted tomato sauce

6 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 red onion
3 cloves garlic
dash olive oil
1tsp sea salt

cook in oven at 450F for 30 min, stirring occasionally. Broil for 5 min (until starts to blacken). Pulse quickly in food processor for chunky tomato sauce. yum yum!

chocolate raspberry torte
crust
1c almonds
1c macadamia nuts
5T cacao powder
1/2c dates

filling
raspberries

Pulse nuts in food processor until finely crumbly. Add cacao and pulse until well blended. Add dates and blend until it forms a dough. Press into pan, chill in fridge 15 min (or until ready to serve). Fill with raspberries, drizzle chocolate sauce on top and serve.

I'll upload photos in a bit!
Enjoy!!!
xoxo

NOT SO SEXY UPDATE: ok, I looked up torte, and yes I was correct in that I am incorrect. This is so so not a torte...well I guess the crust is kind of torte-ish in that it's made from ground nuts...??? No, I stand by my not really having any idea.

Comments

Iris said…
Finally! I've been waiting for a post...I love your desserts! I'm glad you're feeling better. Everyone around here has been getting sick too!
KatieScarlett said…
I've been waiting for an update - I'm soooooo sorry to hear you've been that sick, ick, ick, ick.

Feel better.

I've never made a tomato sauce like this - can't wait. I have a plate of very overripe tomatoes (the last of the harvest) and this is a perfect way to use them.
yay! thanks guys! Making tomato sauce is super fun because it's really easy, tastes delicious and doesn't have corn syrup like store bought ones. Have fun and let me know how it turns out!!!
Pure2Raw Twins said…
Glad you are back. Dessert looks yummy! Glad that your feel better soon.
M. Wilson said…
Thanks for this recipe. I made a rasp-tart that was a little time consuming and these ingredients will give the same flavor and less time. I appreciate the post..keep 'em coming.
My Year Without said…
I'm eagerly looking forward to buying macadamia nuts and making this delectable dessert. I may even substitute pears for raspberries...

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be