Skip to main content

Gluten-free vegan gnocchi with a sundried tomato marinara sauce


This year's Thanksgiving was another great gastro success. My mom and I took over the kitchen, each with our own designated areas - key for minimal panic while trying to create a multi course meal for eight in a few hours. I took on three dishes - a raw apple pie in a spiced pecan crust, a pumpkin tiramisu, and a gnocchi as one of the main course entrees.

For the gnocchi, I adapted a recipe by Allyson Kramer and whipped up an easy and quick sundried tomato marinara sauce with oregano fresh from the garden. The result was a delicious, light, and fluffy pasta.

Gnocchi

2 medium (about 3" length, 2" width) white potatoes
1 medium sweet potato (about 4" length, 2.5" wide)
1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour mix (see below)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Peel the potatoes, cut into small pieces and boil until they are soft. Using a potato masher, smoosh them up, adding the other ingredients a bit at a time and continuing to smoosh until everything is well combined.

Take small handfuls, form balls and then roll them into tubes. Using a sharp knife, cut off pieces about 1" long. Use a fork to flatten them slightly.

Drop 10 at a time into boiling water for 2 minutes per batch. Scoop out with a slotted spoon. As you add more finished gnocchi to your bowl, toss occassionally with a bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking.

Gluten free flour mix

This is my main GF flour mix that I use for everything. I find it's the perfect combo of starch and whole grain flour to replace wheat flour and give baked goods a fluffy and slightly chewy texture. I`ve used it with great success in a number of recipes and recipe adaptations.
1 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup potato starch (very important you use potato starch and not potato flour)

Sundried tomato marinara

2 tomatoes
6 sundried tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
3 sprigs oregano (leaves only)
1 clove garlic

Put everything in a blender and puree.

I also sliced field mushrooms thinly and sauteed with a touch of olive oil and oregano. I tossed these with the gnocchi and then mixed everything with the sauce.

Tada! You now can rival the most seasoned pasta maker with your new-found gnocchi skills!
xo
Selene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be