Skip to main content

Healing in the Peruvian hillside



"We need to talk..." I heard Michael's voice before I saw him. A moment later, he popped around the hedge to where I was sitting in the garden of our hostel in Cusco, Peru. I had just finished a five minute coughing fit and was doubled over holding my chest, which was raked with pain and - I was pretty positive - was building some pretty permanent scar tissue at this point.

I was almost a week into a horrible upper respiratory illness that had me coughing so hard that I had lost my voice and that had left me with almost constant ringing in one ear. Apparently this was not too uncommon in Cusco where at 3,800 metres, the air was thin, the nights were cold, and the weather was dry.

Michael sat down next to me and began telling me how his family of three had experienced something extraordinarily similar the last time they had visited. While he was sure that my upcoming travels to sea level in Colombia would bring the end of it, there might be something I wanted to try now.

Two days later, I found myself lying in a room in the hillside farmlands of Cusco, surrounded by mamacitas with their braids and layered skirts, covered in suction cups. It was a peaceful and beautiful treatement room of Dutch homeopath, Jens.



An elderly man on my left had been introduced to Jens three years ago, almost ready to leave this world with a large tumour between his heart and his spine. Unable to walk, he had been carried in by his son and wife. After three months of treatment, his cancer was gone and today he walks up and down the many steep stairs and hills of this mountainside.

"Western medicine is focused on diagnositics and pills," explained Jens passionately. "In Asia, there are no diagnostics. It's about energy - a healthy flow is the basis for health. Doctors encourage energy flow and dislodge blocks."

The main two hour treatment at Jens' is about getting your energy flowing. He uses a method called cupping where suction cups are attached along the energy meridians of the body. Throughout the treatment, Jens moves the cups about. The effect and the principle is similar to that of acupuncture, but without the needles.

"There are three things to avoid, is my recommendation - red meat, dairy, and microwaves." These three are, in Jens' opinion, the root of energy blocks and general poor health.

"If you are going to eat meat, eat chickens who have had a good life - not the farmed kind that are full of hormones."

He alternates his explainations and teachings in Spanish and English - the latter for my benefit.

"Especially you," he says turning to me. "Avoid all dairy. It will make your congestion and phlegm worse. It's at the root of asthma and bronchial problems. That would be my recommendation."

He further explains, as he moves the suction cups to my legs, that the energy meridians in our bodies run from our fingers and toes into our teeth. "Never get a root canal - the meridian doesn't know, and dead energy is sent to your organs, and you can never be in balance again."

I don't dare admit that I have a root canal, but I do check the chart in the waiting room after my treatment and see that my dead tooth is connected with the lungs and large intestine - the latter being where I tend to have many issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be